What is a Ponytail?
Before we take a look at different cute ponytail hairstyles, let us backtrack on the basic first – what is a ponytail? Basically, ponytail is the most common and universal of all hairstyles. It can be worn by men, women of different ages and different lifestyles. It’s simple, yet elegant, and practical. It doesn’t need to too much time and effort to get your pony done, all you need is a hair brush, some elastic band/s and/or bobby pins and voila! you have your hair all pulled away from your face to the back of your head.
Ponytail is a versatile hairstyle, thus, many different styles can be done with it. Take a trip with this article, read on, and know some how to’s on different cute ponytail hairstyles!
How to do a Ponytail?
A simple ponytail can be done in a two-step process. First, gather your hair to the back of your head (ponytail) using a hair brush (you can also use your bare hands to do this). Then, secure the ponytail with an elastic band. If you do not want some hair escaping your ponytail, you may sprinkle a little hairspray to get that polished look.
If you opt to try different ponytail hairstyles you might need more bobby pins and elastics to do the trick. You might need a curling iron too! Below is a list of different ponytail hairstyles and the steps on how to do them.
Different Ponytail Hairstyles
Braided Ponytail (as seen in the pictures) is one of the most used cute ponytail hairstyle. Maybe because it is easy to do and it adds a little twist to the regular ponytail. Here are the steps on how to do a braided ponytail:
1. Brush your hair first and make sure it is straight and free from tangles so that it is easier to braid. Then tie your hair into a high ponytail. You may apply hairspray to keep hair from flying away.
2. Start french braiding hair.
3. Secure the braid with an elastic band. (Do not use rubber bands, they damage hair).
An optional step is to spritz some hairspray to hold the braid and to keep hair from going away or out of the braid.
As the name implies, segmented ponytail is like the ordinary ponytail but is divided into different segments. Others call it bubble ponytail because the ordinary ponytail is segmented into portions as if depicting bubbles. It looks simple yet it adds a little twist to the ordinary ponytail.
Listed below are the steps on how to do a segmented ponytail:
1. Brush all of your hair straight, keep to a high ponytail then secure tightly with an elastic band.
2. Starting at the base, backcomb (or brush your hair backwards if you do not have a backcomb) hair. Tease a little to make a nice bubble then seal with an elastic band.
3. Repeat step 2 two to five times depending on the length of your hair.
For better results, you may use elastics with cute designs. If you want a more sophisticated look, use elastics that would match your hair color perfectly.
Tip: If the layers start to fall out of place, use some hairspray and pin them using bobby pins.
A side ponytail is creating a ponytail but instead of setting all the hair at the back of the head, the hair is set either on the left side or on the right side of the face.
A simple side ponytail is done through the following:
1. Brush hair and make sure there are not tangles and knots. (If your
hair is wet, blow dry it first).
2. Pull hair over to one side then brush for a clean look.
3. Secure the ponytail with an elastic band.
Side ponytail can have many variations too. To create a chic, stylish or a more sophisticated look you may add a little twist on your side ponytail with some braids or curls. Here are some steps on how to do a braided side ponytail:
1. Slightly part damp hair on either left or right side.
2. Take about a 2-inch chunk of hair from the front of the hairline and start french braiding.
3. Add more hair with each crossover to create a stronger braid.
4. Continue the braiding pattern up to the neck (or lower) then secure with an elastic band.
Braided side ponytail is not limited to french braid, you may also try fishtail braid to add a more stylish look. You may also try doing a ponytail on the side of your head before doing any braid. For best results, spritz some hairspray.
This surely is a great ponytail hairstyle as well. Adele actually wore bouffant ponytail at various events. Want to try the bouffant ponytail? Here’s how:
1. Blow dry hair. (It doesn’t end up the way you want it if hair is wet)
2. If you have fringe or bangs, shake it loose. (You can create a semblance of a fringe if you do not have any: make a shallow side part, swoop a piece of hair across and pin it.)
3. At the crown of your head, backcomb hair using a brush thus creating a maximum volume.
4. To cover the teased sections, brush your hair back (creating a bouffant) then seal the low pony with an elastic band.
Sleek ponytail looks so simple yet difficult to maintain, why? the answer is actually in the name itself “sleek”. Basically, sleek means smooth and glossy, therefore, you have to make sure that if you are going to wear sleek ponytail, your hair should be super straight and glossy. What makes it cute is that it will make you look fresh and neat for the reason that all of your hair are on the back of your head and your face will be more visible and thus make you look attractive.
If you want to try the sleek ponytail hairstyle here are the steps:
1. Apply split remedy products to your hair (to make it shinier). If you have a wavy or curly hair, straighten it with a flat iron.
2. Blow dry your hair (make sure that you blow dry it in the direction of your ponytail)
3. Section your hair diagonally from ear to ear (creating a front and a back section) and secure with clips.
4. Ponytail the remaining hair way up to the crown of your head and seal it with an elastic.
5. Put some hair spray on a hair brush. Brush over the back of your head to get rid of any frizz or bumps.
6. Do steps 3-4 for front sections.
7. Join all the ponytails by pulling front sections back to the first ponytail and seal with another elastic. Repeat step 5.
8. Flat iron the ponytail to ensure that it stays glossy and smooth.
Topsy Tail Pony
This rolled style will definitely add a little spice to your ordinary ponytail. How to do the Topsy tail pony? Read on!
Step 1: Gather your hair into a slightly loose low ponytail (loose enough to work on it)
Step 2: Nudge your fingers on one hand up through the hair (above the elastic of your ponytail) to create space.
Step 3: Keep the space open with your fingers then flip the ponytail up and through it.
Step 4: Pull down the ponytail making it tight enough.
Step 5: Smooth the hair for a more neat look.
Tip: You may repeat the steps depending on how many rolls or Topsy tails you want to have with your hair. You may explore on different variations too!
A different look yet so simple to do – the fancy ponytail.
Step 1: Divide your hair into 3 separate ponytails.
Step 2: Using the top ponytail, do a topsy tail pony.
Step 3: Use the remaining strands of hair of the top pony and poke it through the second ponytail.
Step 4: Using the strands of the first ponytail, start topsy-tailing the second ponytail.
Step 5: Repeat steps 1 & 2 on the third ponytail.
Tip: Spritz some hairspray to hold the ponytail. To add a more sophisticated and chic look, curl the ponytail.
A loose ponytail is a rather easy and simple ponytail hairstyle, but creativity is the key!
How to do a loose ponytail:
1. Using a rat tail comb, tease a 2-4 inch sections of hair along the crown of your head (this is done to create volume to your hair).
2. Gather your hair into a low, loose ponytail and seal it with an elastic band (you may gather it into the side, making a loose side ponytail; at the back of your head or just slightly off the center).
Steps on how to do a low ponytail hairstyle:
1. Brush your hair to the back of your head (just above the base of your skull). If you want to achieve a rather messy low ponytail, finger-comb your hair instead of using a brush.
2. Seal your hair with an elastic band.
3. Tighten your ponytail a little to make it look even and clean.
Tip: Be creative if you desire a more fashionable low ponytail. You may do some braids or topsy tails.
1. Wash and dry hair.
2. Brush out hair to remove tangles and knots.
3. While bending forward, flip your hair over your head and brush it.
4. Gather your hair into a ponytail (while you are still bending over). Make sure its really high.
5. Seal the ponytail with an elastic.
6. Add different styles (like braids) and use styled elastics to make it look more trendy. Apply some hairspray.
Ponytail for Different Hair Lengths
Cute Ponytail Hairstyles for Short Hair
Cute Ponytail Hairstyles for Medium-Length Hair
Cute Ponytail Hairstyles for Long Hair
Celebrities with Cute Ponytail Hairstyles
These celebrities wore different variations of cute ponytail hairstyles at different events. Let’s take a look at them!
Georgeous, aren’t they? Who doesn’t want to have these pretty ladies’ look? Don’t hesitate to try!
Other Celebrities with Cute Ponytail Hairstyle
Here are some other celebrities with their different variations and styles of cute ponytails!
Other Cute Ponytail Hairstyles
Ponytail Hairstyles for Weddings
Ponytails aren’t just for casual events, it may also be worn on weddings. Look at these brides and their majestic ponytail hairstyles!
Fabulous, aren’t they? “Ponytail Hairstyle” may sound very common but with the different variations, it will look not-so-common, hence, become trendy and chic. Just the right amount of creativity and effort does the trick. Go ahead and try different ponytail hairstyles too and post your own ponytail hairstyle here!