Getting a tattoo can be like a rite of passage for many people when they grow up and turn 18. For many people, though, getting a tattoo can hold a lot of personal meaning. There are many places where you may get a tattoo, regardless of whether you are male or female. Getting a tattoo behind the ear is always a great idea, because it is a great peek-a-boo location to cover up with your hair, but it can also look really cute when you pick your hair up. There are many reasons why people get behind the ear tattoos. Here are just a few:
Reasons to Get a Behind the Ear Piercing
- Behind the ear can look really attractive when tattooed with carefully chosen ink.
- A behind the ear tattoo can look very feminine with some soft flowers or a small tattoo.
- These are a great first tattoo because they’re so small.
- They’re the perfect tattoo for someone who just wants one.
Ideas for Behind the Ear Tattoos
Because the area behind the ear is not big, the design you choose cannot be too large either. You should also avoid choosing a highly intricate design. The best designs are those that are small and not too complicated, but are able to fit nicely in the area. You can use feathers, words or even crosses, birds, hearts or anchors. The only limitation you have as to what you get behind your ear is your imagination.
Things to Consider
When you are getting a tattoo, no matter where you decide to get it on your body, there are lots of things you should consider before taking the plunge. First of all, you want to be sure that you are going to a tattoo parlor that is reputable. It is also important for you to check out some of the tattoo artist’s work before you sign the papers to let him or her ink you. Be sure to take a good look around and make sure everything looks clean, neat and sanitary. The last thing you want from your possible first tattoo (or any tattoo for that matter!) is a bad experience, ending with an infection. Once you’ve decided that you feel the parlor is a good choice, you can book your appointment for your tattoo. Other things to think about include:
- Understand that your tattoo is going to be a little painful, but the pain level is different for everyone. While a tattoo behind the ear may be absolutely painful for you, you may have hear that it ‘tickled’ from one of your friends. This is a highly sensitive area, so expect to feel a bit of pain, especially after the tattoo is done. The area may be tender, so if it’s on the side you sleep on, try rolling to the other side.
- Be sure to exercise caution after you have the tattoo, especially while it is in the healing phase. You will want to keep the area clean, so if the tattooist tries to sell you some tattoo cleaning product, like H2Ocean or recommends you using a certain kind of cream or lotion to prevent it from getting dry and cracked, be sure to get some and use it as directed. This will help your tattoo heal properly and keep the ink from getting sucked out. Of course, you’ll probably have a free touch up, but caring for your tattoo is important, regardless.
Once you’ve decided on a design and a parlor to get your tattoo at, you can go right ahead and get inked up. Getting a behind the ear tattoo can look great and be a fulfilling experience. Always be sure to do your research, look into shops and carefully choose your design to make the experience as awesome as possible!