There are so many things we can do in this world. Whether it be food, sports, hobbies – name it! Among these things is fashion. In fashion, you will never run out of style. Dress, make-up, accessories, shoes and hair to name a few. Speaking of hair, do you know there are a lot of different hairstyles you can do to your hair? Whether it be long, medium-length, or even short! There are a lot of hairstyles you can do on your own. Yes, on-your-own.
Here we will give you a rundown and some how to’s on different do-it-yourself hairstyles. A 1-minute or a five-minute DIY hairstyle, down to more intricate yet trendy styles, name it, we have them here.
Quick and Easy DIY Hairstyles
You may come accross different variations of DIY hairstyles, but, some of them are not really the “do-it-yourself” kind. Perhaps you will need some “assistant” to do the trick. But here we will give you steps and how to’s on DIY hairstyles that you could really do on your own specially when you’re in a rush. These quick and easy DIY hairstyles are all you need to get that everyday look of yours with a twist. Read on!
This is perhaps the most commonly used DIY hairstyle. First, because it is easy, second, it requires minimal time (you can even do this while in traffic) and third, all you’ll need are bobby pins, elastics and some other accessories like hairbands and voila! you are all set.
There are different variations of buns, but don’t worry because we will give you the buns you’ll definitely love to try.
Twisted bun is quite easy to do.
1. Brush your hair.
2. Flip your hair upside down and collect your hair
3. Smooth out the bumps by brushing it.
4. Take all of your hair (as if to a ponytail) then twist it tightly.
5. Wrap the twist around your head (creating the bun) tightly.
6. Secure by using an elastic band or some bobby pins.
See? It’s easy! Go on and try it!
Now let’s take that bun into another level – the braided bun. Can’t wait to try it? Here are the steps:
1. Brush through your hair to get rid of tangles
2. Put your hair up into a ponytail and secure tightly using an elastic band.
3. Now that it is pony-tailed, braid it to the end then twist the braid around the elastic band (covering it) and try not to loosen the braid..
4. Secure it with bobby pins or an elastic band.
French Braid Bun
This is a good DIY hairstyle if you know how to french-braid your own hair. Here are the steps:
1. Brush your hair.
2. Part hair (Part your hair on your natural side so that it would be easier to work)
3. Grab a small section of hair and split into 3 parts.
4. French braid the three sections diagonally across the head.
5. Secure braid with a tie or an elastic.
6. Roll the braid up and in (making a bun) then secure with bobby pins.
Sounds yummy? You can’t eat this one but you can wear it. You can do this by using two elastic bands.
Here are the steps:
1. Ponytail your hair tightly either in a high or low ponytail.
2. Tease your ponytail to handle it easier and giving the bun more volume.
3. Gather your hair into a doughnut shape by finding the center of your ponytail then evenly gathering your hair around its base. (May take a few tries to get the doughnut shape.)
4. Holding the doughnut shape in place with one hand, secure the tips of your hair around the base of your ponytail using the second elastic. Wrap it around several times creating the bun. Make sure it’s not loose so the bun doesn’t fall out.
5. Using bobby pins, secure the doughnut bun against your head to prevent falling out.
6. To keep the bun from falling out, you may spritz some hairspray.
A bun but with a different look.
1. Gather your hair into a high ponytail.
2. Loop hair through an elastic band leaving the ends out on the top of your head.
3. Divide bun in the middle.
4. Gather the loose ends into one section and pull it directly back behind the bun.
5. Pin into place with bobby pins.
If you want the perfect look of this hairstyle, make sure hair is a day old unwashed. Here are the steps:
1. Scoop your hair into a ponytail using your hands. The bun will be located right where your ponytail is. (You can position your ponytail high or low and even on the side.)
2. Secure the ponytail with an elastic but make sure to create the bun (pull your hair halfway through the elastic to create the loop).
3. Hide the remaining hair of the ponytail by tucking it into the elastic or by keeping it using bobby pins.
Tip: To make the bun bigger, pull the loop further through the elastic. Make it wider by flaring the edges out to the sides.
Fabric Woven Bun
The fabric woven bun is an updated twist on the traditional bun that gives you the modern feel. Can’t wait to get this hairstyle? here’s how:
1. Ponytail your hair high on the head.
2. Cut enough fabric (or ribbon) to hang approximately up to a foot and half past the end of your ponytail. Tie the fabric around your ponytail.
3. Braid the fabric into your ponytail. Secure with an elastic.
4. Weave hair into a top knot and secure with pins.
5. Tie the loose ends of the fabric into your liking.
Other than the classic buns, you can also try other hairstyles on your own. Here are 22 more DIY hairstyles you’ll love to try!
Braids are actually common hairstyles. But among the braids, let us take a look at fishtail braid.
It looks elaborate and is the favorite for rushed mornings or appointments. If you do not know how to do this hairstyle, we will give you the steps to practice and try this chic diy hairstyle. All you need are elastics, and, of course, your hands. Read on!
Let us try the regular fishtail braid first. This is very easy and all you need is an elastic band.
1. Brush your hair to remove tangles.
2. Divide your hair into two large sections, parting straight down the middle.
3. Pull a thin strand of hair from the outside of the left section and pull it over to the inside of the right section.
4. Pull a thin strand of hair from the right side and pull it over to the left. (Like you are repeating step 3 but on the other side)
5. Repeat step 3 then 4 until you reach the bottom of the braid (or half way through just to add a little spice).
6. Tie the end of the braid with an elastic. (Add ribbons or other accessories to make it look cuter!)
Tips: If you want a tight braid, take even strands from each side. For a messy look, take uneven strands. If you want a more intricate braid, use skinnier strands. If the fishtail is too tight, you may use your fingers to massage into the strands gently to loosen it.
French Fishtail Braid
Have you heard about French Fishtail Braid? We’ve got you covered!
1. Grab a section of hair at the crown of your head and split in two.
2. Pull a thin strand of hair from the outside of one section and pull it over to the inside of the other section.
3. Repeat step 2 on the opposite side.
4. Pull up a strand from the left side of your hairline.
5. Weave the strand over the left fishtail section and under the right fishtail section.
6. Pull up a strand from the right side of your hairline.
7. Weave it over the right fishtail section and under the left fishtail section.
8. Keep pulling up strands of hair until you have grabbed all of it.
9. Do the regular fishtail for the rest of the braid.
10. Secure with an elastic (either halfway or up to the bottom of the braid).
Rope Braid Headband
This one sure is very easy and stylish. As the name implies, instead of using a regular headband, you are going to make use of your natural hair, braided, that is, to achieve this hairstyle. Are you wondering how? Check it out!
Pre-styling: Blow-dry hair. (While blow-drying you may also add a little twist by curling the ends of your hair using a round brush.)
1. Section your hair 1-2 inches above your ear (either on the left or right side. You will do this on both sides anyway). This will serve as your rope braid.
2. Split the section in two.
3. Twist each strand in the same direction then wrap them together in the opposite way until you reach the end your braid. (If you twisted strands to the right, wrap them to the left.)
4. Secure with a small elastic.
5. Pin the braid across your forehead in place (under your hair on the opposite side so your hair covers the pin).
6. Repeat steps 1-4. Make sure you have the same thickness or thinness on both sides when sectioning.
7. Pin the second braid across. Place it along the first braid and hide the ends then pin and your done!
Fishtail Braid Up Do
Now let’s take that fishtail braid into another level. It may end up a bit messy, but that’s actually a good look that even Jessica Alba had this hairstyle on one of the events she attended. You’ll love this one for sure.
Here are the steps:
1. Section your hair into two ponytails (one with the top of your hair and the other with the bottom).
2. Pull a piece out of the top pony then fishtail-braid it.
3. Put the lower pony into a bun.
4. Make a pomp out of the remaining upper pony and secure with a bobby pin.
5. Fishtail the rest of the pony then wrap around the bun.
6. Wrap the first fishtail braid and secure everything using bobby pins.
The Faux Bob
Have you ever felt like wearing a short hair but don’t really want to cut it short? We have a solution to your dilemma – the faux bob. It’s like having a fake short hair. Curious enough? Here…
1. Divide your hair into two sections from one ear to another.
2. Pin the top section up (keeping it away from the rest of your hair so you can do the rest of the steps without any hassle).
3. Ponytail the bottom section.
4. Twist the ponytail into a small bun and pin flat against your head (this is necessary so as to hide your long hair).
5. Unpin the top section and divide it into small strands.
6. Fold the strands in half and pin them up underneath. (Remember to keep the bobby pins hidden.)
7. Use a curling iron to flip the strands out a little making them look more natural.
8. Use some accessories (like a ribbon) or pin any loose pieces that would probably compromise the “short hair” look.
Now you’re done. Perfect!
Maybe you are wondering what waterfall braid is. Let’s take a look at it.
Below are the instructions on how to do this chic diy hairstyle that received a lot of positive reviews online.
1. Brush hair. Separate hair on its natural side.
2. Grab a small piece and divide into 3 sections.
3. French braid for 2-3 inches to secure the waterfall you are trying to achieve and making sure it doesn’t fall in your face.
4. After french braiding, drop the top section of your braid.
5. Pick up a new section of hair from directly behind where you dropped the top section. (This will act as a new section of the french braid.)
6. Keep moving around the head. Every time you grab a section of hair from the top of your head, let it drop and replace it with a new section.
7. Upon reaching the other side of your head, secure the end of the braid with bobby pins.
A bit tricky, ain’t it? With a little more practice and patience, you’ll get this hairstyle perfectly. Try it now!
What is chignon? Perhaps that is the question that first comes to your mind. Chignon is actually from a French phrase “chignon du cou”, meaning nape of the neck.
Now that we understood what a chignon is, let us now learn how to do and take a peek how a banded chignon looks.
Here are the steps:
To do the banded chignon, all you need are bobby pins and a stretchy headband.
1. Tease your hair at the crown then curl hair lightly.
2. Slide headband around the crown of your head.
3. Pull hair in small sections from below the headband starting at the front of your hairline, and tuck.
4. Continue towards the back of your head.
5. Repeat it from the other side of hairline.
Tips: If one layer is already tucked, you may opt to stop here and leave the style half down and half up. Other option is to continue tucking bottom hair up and around the headband. Use bobby pins to lock your hair. Spritz some hairspray.
There are also different variants of a chignon hairstyle, like putting it on one side, commonly known as side chignon. You can use the same steps but positioning it on the side.
French Braid Top Knot
This diy hairstyle for sure you’d love to try will look like a casual or plain old bun on a front view, but on the back, it sure is a party.
We have laid down the steps for you.
1. Flip your head upside down.
2. Start a traditional french braid from the nape of your neck to the center of your head (or anywhere you want your bun to be located).
3. Twist the pony into a bun.
Easy, isn’t it? Go ahead and try!
Another diy hairstyle is the bohemian braid. This is as easy as 1-2-3!
Step 1: Blow dry your hair to create a rough texture (Also, to create the bohemian look).
Step 2: Create a two-strand fishtail braid across your forehead and secure the bottom with an elastic (make sure the elastic is not so obvious).
Step 3: Spritz with hairspray to add texture and to hold your braid. Done!
Mermaid Tail Braid
Ever dreamed of becoming a mermaid? Ever? Well, here’s something that might help you with that dream – wearing that “mermaid tail” not with your feet, but with your hair.
Here are the steps.
Preparation: Wash your hair and condition it. Brush it to make it knot- free.
1. Gather your hair to the side where you want your braid to be.
2. Braid your hair neatly into two separate braids.
3. Join the two braids with an elastic band.
4. Connect the strands of the braids using bobby pins.
5. Adjust the braid if necessary and make sure everything is secured in place.
How was it? If it doesn’t look good on your first try, do it all over again. Practice makes perfect after all!
Here is a super easy diy hairstyle you can do in just a short time!
Step 1: Part your hair into two portions.
Step 2: Take one part and twist it away from your face to the back.
Step 3: Secure with bobby pin.
Step 4: Do the same on the other side.
Step 5: Put them in a messy pony and secure with an elastic.
Step 6: Grab a piece of hair from under your pony and wrap it around your elastic covering it.
Step 7: Secure with bobby pins.
Another diy hairstyle that is perfect for every occasion. Below are the steps.
1. Pull your hair to one side then separate the top half of your hair and create tow sections.
2. Tie the sections into a knot and secure with bobby pins.
3. From the remaining strands, pull another two pieces and add them on the first pair.
4. Tie them into a knot again then secure.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you reach your desired position or height of the knot.
6. Secure your hairstyle with a clear elastic.
Add some style to your knotted pony by using designed clips or ribbons.
Illusional Long Mane Ponytail
Step 1: Divide your hair into two parts: The top and bottom parts.
Step 2: Tie the top portion using an elastic band.
Step 3: Tie the bottom into a ponytail too.
Step 4: Accessorize your hairstyle for a more chic look!
The Single TwistThere are no photos with those IDs or post 4335 does not have any attached images!
This is the easiest, yet chic hairstyle you’d love to try.
Step 1: Take a section of your hair from the left and pull it to the right then pin.
Step 2: Take a piece of your hair from the right and tuck it under a piece of hair from the left side.
Step 3: Pin it and you’re done!
This one’s really good specially during summer.
Check out how to create this hairstyle below.
1. Curl your hair. (Spritz some hairspray to hold the curls.)
2. Take a piece from the front of your head and twist the hair to the back and pin into place.
3. Take another section of hair from underneath the first section and twist it. Pin it over the first section.
4. Repeat step 3 until you reach the back of your head.
5. Do the same on the other side (steps 2-4).
6. Join both if the braids up by twisting them over the other and pin them in place.
This diy hairstyle is perfect for different occasions specially when you want to achieve a laid-back look!
Step 1: Pick up a section of hair from your forehead. Split it in three sections and begin a dutch braid or even a simple braid will do.
Step 2: Tie the braid with an elastic band.
Step 3: Take your braid and wrap it around the rest of your hair. Tie them together with ann elastic band.
Step 4: Remove the elastic that you used to lock your braid.
Step 5: Accessorize and be creative!
What do you think of these diy hairstyles? Let us know about your thoughts and commenton how well you have done in trying these hairstyles! We would love to hear from you.